The Evolution Of A Vintage Seller

Thursday, May 10, 2012

What I Found Today

Today was one of those spur-of-the-moment kind of days.  My aunt hasn't been feeling well and I wanted to go see how she was doing.  That thought was followed with 'why don't I drive to  Allsbrook and check out the thrift store there.'  That thought was followed by 'why don't I drive on into Loris and have lunch at the Coffee Shop'.  Excellent plan, so I donned jeans, my Catalina Island tee shirt, my Lilly Pulitzer Keds, and headed out the door.  The Master's Table located in the Allsbrook community raises money to provide groceries for needy families and I feel good spending my money there.  Treasure hunting was excellent and the catches of the day were:


A beautiful pair of Daniel Green ivory brocade slippers.  Aren't they lovely?  The best thing about them, other than their delicate femininity is that they are made in the USA!  Alas, they are too narrow for me, otherwise they would be mine.  When I find such a pretty example of American craftsmanship, it saddens me to remember that we don't make such anymore.  That's an unbelievable shame and one of the reasons that I love vintage and all the things made by heritage American companies.


A great selection of belts include a thin gold mesh one, a simple chain link belt with a ball on one end, a gray linen with white polka dots shaped belt with a bow by Ginnie Johansen (made in the USA), a multicolor cord and leather belt by Anne Klein for Calderon, a navy faux snake-skin leather belt with a pewter buckle and fittings by CIA (made in the USA), and a very neat coin and chain link belt.

I was starving as I drove into Loris and found a park right in front of my destination, the Loris Coffee Shop, which has been on Main Street forever.  When you order your sweet iced tea, they don't just bring a measly glass.  No, dear heart, they bring the pitcher, too!  I wanted fried chicken (I was craving it), so loaded up my plate with the yummiest country cooking this side of my aunties' houses.  Let me show you what I had:


Isn't that the most delicious thing you've seen all day?  Mmmmm fried chicken, new potatoes, cole slaw, candied yams, mac 'n' cheese, and hush puppies.  There was dessert, by I wasn't interested in that.  Anyway, if I don't eat dessert before a meal, I'm not much interested in it.  Whether or not I went back for seconds is a mystery that shall remain unsolved.

I stopped by the family cemetery and took some pictures on the way to my aunt's house.  She wasn't expecting me, but she was happy to see me.  Unfortunately, she isn't doing well, but let's hope the antibiotics she's on will help.

Yes, it was a very good day.

1 comment:

  1. I'd feel so pretty in those slippers.....Until my feet cramped up... A lovely day my dear!

    ReplyDelete