The Evolution Of A Vintage Seller

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thinking About Scarves

The heyday of my wearing scarves was during the 70s and 80s. I bought an Echo scarf from Suzanne's Boutique in Myrtle Square Mall, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, in the mid-70s and wore it to shreds. Literally.

Let me digress for a moment.

The south was a place of hair curlers (hair rollers, if you will), Saturday evening 'sets' at the beauty shop that would be worn all week, and LOTS of hair spray. We also prided ourselves on long zippers down the backs of our polyester minidresses. They were so easy to step into and one wouldn't get one's hair mussed. That was a big no-no. Looking at some of the cast iron 'dos from the 70s, I was hard pressed to determine how a woman could keep her hair from being mussed during, ahem, shall we say, the joys of marital bliss. I mean, the hair, mounds of it piled on top on one's head, didn't move. That was always a conundrum. If one was unlucky enough to have a pull-on article of clothing, where one had to gasp! Pull it over one's head, that was a problem waiting to be solved.

Enter the silk scarf.

The scarf had to be finely woven silk, not twill; it had to be slick. One would gently drape the scarf over one's head and catch the corners under the chin. Manuvering and blinded by the scarf, one would gently slide the garment over one's head and quickly whisk the scarf away. Voila! Successful dressing without mussing the hair.

Back to my point.

This is how I wore out the Echo scarf. After wearing it around the collars of countless blouses, it was regulated to its greatest cause: that of keeping my hair from getting mussed. It was a lovely scarf, colorful with flowers and paisleys on a creamy background. It was also expensive; the most expensive scarf I ever bought retail. It lived a good life until one day I took a critical look at it and laid it to rest in my vanity trashcan. To this day I use its successor, a nondescript silk scarf purchased from the low rent district of Belks department store back in the day when it had a bargain area. It's held together much better than the lovely Echo scarf, perhaps because of its peasant roots in NOT having a logo. I don't slip too many things over my head anymore, but the scarf is lovingly folded in my top drawer, a place of honor and duty when called upon.

My earliest scarf recollection is a chiffon kerchief tied around my older sister's ponytail. She had dark auburn hair and wore her hair in a ponytail along with rolled up dungarees and white poodle socks that she twisted around her ankles. There was always a brilliant scarf in her hair. She must have had dozens of those filmy chiffon squares. They were small, maybe 12 inches square and were like a breath on a breeze. There were also times when she folded one on the diagonal and tied it around her neck with a sweater set. In my little girl's 5-year-old mind, she looked like a movie star to me.

Years later when Mama and I were cleaning out her attic, we ran across those scarves, mottled and stiff with age. We were in a cleaning frenzy, and they didn't survive our scourge, but they remain in my memories, bright, young, and happy.






No comments:

Post a Comment